Skip to main content

When Flint Strikes Steel; Teacher Appreciation

In the spirit of teacher appreciation day, and at the prompting of my friend Dylan Rogers, I am sharing my story of how an unassuming, and caring economics professor provided the spark and inspiration that launched my fulfilling career in education.


Dr. Daniel Kauffman was my professor of Macro-Economics at Winona State University in Minnesota. A college sophomore with an irregular sleep schedule, I typically sat in the front row of the lecture class to stay awake, and engaged in the lesson. At the time, I was undecided on a major, and I was working fiercely to get my academic life on track. 

On this particular day, the topic was cost/benefits analysis for decision making. I did the pre-reading, and I was thoroughly prepared for the discussion. Dr. Kauffman's wife was nine months pregnant, he said the phone call could be coming at any time. As luck, or chance, would have it, Dr. Kauffman did get a phone call early during his lecture. He scanned the room, and asked, "Who would like to take over?"

After a few moments of unresponsive silence, I couldn't take it any more. I half-heartedly raised my hand, and he tossed me a stick of pale yellow chalk. (We're talkin' 1980s here!) Dr. Kauffman departed to a cascade of applause, and I went to the board to proceed with graphing the principle equations. No pressure, right? I remember fielding questions and asking classmates to elaborate on each other's comments. Unbeknownst to me, his phone call turned out to be a false alarm and Dr. Kauffman had taken up secluded residence in the back row of the classroom. 




Approximately forty-five minutes had passed in a blink of an eye, I peppered the class with quick hitting prompts to check for understanding. I wanted to make sure Dr. Kauffman's objectives had been absorbed and understood. I guess I was evaluating myself on effectiveness. Not perfect, but not bad. Not bad at all! I shared reminders about the next assignment and mentioned that I would be in the student union building if anyone wanted to meet to review for an upcoming exam.

Dr. Kauffman approached me after the other students had left. He said that I covered the topic skillfully. He liked how I found ways for students to engage in collaborative communication. He took interest in me by asking how life was treating me, and what I was studying at WSU. After learning that I was an "undecided" major, Dr. Kauffman walked me over to the College of Education office to help me enroll in the teacher education program. I don't think he realizes the impact this experience, and his actions, have had on my life. I remember it like it was yesterday! Thank you Dr. Daniel Kauffman. I appreciate, but don't remember much about cost-benefits analysis. However, I thoroughly appreciate and clearly remember all you have done for me. 

#TeacherAppreciationDay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Teachers Can Learn From Effective Coaches

In my educational world teaching and coaching involve the same processes. The people that impacted my own learning most significantly were coaches. Could it be that great coaches were ahead of their time with respects to instructional best practices? Let's take a look at ten coaching practices that thankfully have found their way into the classroom. http://www.coachwooden.com/files/PyramidThinkingSuccess.jpg Standards-based Grading - coaches aren't concerned with arbitrary measures of success such as letter grades. Great coaches identify a requisite set of skills that are necessary for advancement and success. Promotion and achievement are based upon clearly identified levels of skill mastery.  Authentic assessment - coaches are looking for their athletes to demonstrate their skill mastery under game-like situations. The best coaches incorporate game simulations and competitive, game-like drills into their practices. Winning coaches will use the contests as assess

Board Games in the School Library: 3 Reasons Why It's a Winning Play

"Play is the highest form of research."  - Albert Einstein “Play is the work of the child.”  – Maria Montessori In our recently remodeled school media center, we have a space dedicated to active engagement in fun learning activities. Part maker space, part literacy lounge, board games are being incorporated to promote a culture of joyful learning. Whether it's a game of Rummy , Yahtzee , or Scrabble , family game night serves as a communication elixir and solidifies our domestic climate of togetherness. Shouldn't similar opportunities for interaction, challenge, and fun exist somewhere in our schools? Broken families, cultural fragmentation, and poverty are impacting opportunities for children to play. As we unpacked and tagged our new media center games, I was more disappointed than shocked by the number of students who had never played Monopoly , Boggle , or Sorry . One skeptical teacher commented, "Oh great, now we're letting students pl

Self-Directed vs. Self-Determined Learning; What's the Difference?

"We need to move beyond the idea that an education is something that is provided for us, and toward the idea that an education is something that we create for ourselves." - Stephen Downes In this age of abundance of information, shifting classroom pedagogy isn't nearly enough to make learning in school more relevant and authentic for the learner. Self-directed learning ( andragogy ), and self-determined learning ( heutagogy ) are the ideals necessary in making students " future ready " to live and learn in a web-connected world. While original research applied these concepts to mature learners, it has become apparent that even young children have an abundant capacity for recognizing and directing their learning. Anyone who has observed toddlers learning how to walk and talk understand the motivation and skill development that quickly develops during these processes. Considered by some to be on a learning continuum, self-directed learning, and self-determined